Call for Trainers/Facilitators
YEU network has been seriously committed to sustainability and environmental issues for a very long time as we believe that whatever topic we are discussing, an overarching idea should be how to stop global warming with our own actions, actions taking place in the local communities and among our peers. Climate change is a global issue that can be resolved locally if each individual starts making small behavioural and lifestyle changes concerning three main factors – demands, choices and attitudes.
Like all important changes, we need frontrunners (superheroes) to lead the change and get the majority of the population onboard. This can only be done if we start the wave of change from several different communities at the same time and bring them together to learn, support each other and look for solutions to be implemented locally and, at the same time, influence both the European and global agenda.
“The Superheroes of Climate Change” is a project that wants to enhance the ownership feeling of green agenda and pursue its mainstreaming – ensuring it is high on priority list of every citizen no matter of age – by bringing the climate change closer to hearts and realities of young people around Europe by applying positive approach and “we can do it” attitude.
Aim of the Work Plan
The aim of the work plan is to empower young people to be the frontrunners of behavioural changes towards more sustainable and greener lifestyles making the fight against global warming personal and doable for each individual.
- To create critical mass of young people to mainstream green agenda and sustainability in local communities around Europe by making the fight against global warming personal, doable and empowering for each citizen;
- To utilise storytelling educational and policy techniques which will empower young people to develop, together with local communities, sustainable and green systemic solutions promoting green lifestyles and youth participation in the framework of COVID19 recovery process;
- To contribute to behavioural and lifestyle changes of young people in communities around Europe through enhancing their personal responsibility together with power to act as multipliers by telling stories of potential change close to their realities;
- To ensure the utmost quality educational experiences leading to network building of young activists empowered to take part in socio-political life and mainstream green agenda at local and European level;
- 10 youth organisations from 10 different countries around Europe actively involved in leading local communities towards greener life-style, raising awareness on sustainability and climate change;
- 20 young people (activity 1) from 10 organisations with acquired knowledge about climate and environment, motivation and engagement of young people on community level organising and cooperating with different stakeholders;
- 50 young people (activity 2) from 10 organisations developed storytelling techniques, skills and tools to introduce and mainstream a greener agenda in their local communities.
- 30 young people (activity 3) from 10 organisations developing recommendations targeting youth organisations, local policy makers and decision makers, local policy makers and decision makers at the European level. These recommendations will be published on a website, which will also contain content related to 5S approach, climate communications and their applicability to youth work, local storytelling campaigns and examples of good practices.
Activity 1 – Creating the core
This activity will gather 20 young activists/youth workers from 10 local communities (2x partner organisation). The activity will establish the core of the project – both in terms of Superheroes selection as well as the building the grounds related to the topics young people in 10 local communities around Europe will be tackling at both local and European level.
- Building/strengthening capacities of youth workers/activists of 10 youth organisations on the topics of: environment and climate change, motivation and engagement of young people and community level organising and cooperation with different stakeholders through international 7 days training course;
- Creating 10 local groups of Superheroes of Climate change who will represent the core of the project and work towards peer to peer influencing on the topics of climate change and changes of personal habits/lifestyles;
- Identifying the needs of the local communities through consultations with their peers and local stakeholders (schools, local authorities, institutions) to create conditions for a meaningful change.
The first international activity will be a training course with 2 participants per organisations and a focus on the following aspects: environment and climate; motivation and engagement of young people and community level organising and cooperation with different stakeholders. The expected outcomes of this 5 days event will be to train the participants on the specific topic and engagement of young people in influencing the quality of life/making a change in their local communities. The expected result of this activity will be action plans on creation of local groups and identifying the problems that the groups will tackle throughout the process. Upon going back to their local communities participants will create local groups of Superheros that will further develop their plans and identify specific issues they want to address, upon consultations with their local communities.
Trondheim, Norway – April 2022
Activity 2 – Telling a story
This activity will gather a group of 50 young people (5 x partner organisation), part of which (2 x partner) has already been involved in the creation of 10 local groups of Superheroes for climate change around Europe. The most important aspect of the work plan will be the tailor-made local storytelling campaigns that will tackle a specific local problem that influences the lives of the local community. With this kind of campaigns we want to achieve behavioural and lifestyle change (in both short and long term) of the community and especially young people as by showcasing that climate change and environmental deterioration is affecting a local river, mountain, quality of air by framing this in a positive way not doom and gloom.
- Empowering 50 young people from around Europe to work together on the topics of climate change and environmental awareness by introducing them to the concepts of climate communications and philosophy (5S approach);
- Developing storytelling skills among young people to influence a change at local/European level;
- Developing and implementing 10 local storytelling campaigns each pinpointing a local problem identified by young people and the whole local community in the Activity 1.
In the second international Activity participants will be introduced to the 5S approach to climate change and storytelling techniques which they will practice already during the event by planning their local campaigns. The idea is to address the local climate effects and bring the realities closer to young people and overall communities by motivating them to take action and bring specific proposals to the local policy makers based on the specific local environmental issues. During the implementation of the local campaigns, each group will have a mentor assigned to provide support and guidance in the process.
Tirana, Albania – July 2022
Activity 3 – Making the change
The third activity will gather 30 participants, 3 participants per group (that took part either in Activity 1, 2 or both). They will come together in the last Activity which will be an evaluation point of the whole process and a place to develop recommendations targeting youth organisations, local policy makers and decision makers at the European level.
- To contribute to behavioural and lifestyle changes of young people in communities around Europe through enhancing their personal responsibility together with power to act as multipliers by telling stories of potential change close to their realities
- To ensure the utmost quality educational experiences leading to network building of young activists empowered to take part in socio-political life and mainstream green agenda at local and European level; The final results of this activity will be:
- Recommendations on green agenda mainstreaming and involvement of young people by local authorities when planning the measures that affect their future
- Finalised website with the following content: 1) climate change communications and psychology 2) what can youth organisations do to contribute to green agenda mainstreaming at local and European level 3) how to create your own tailor-made storytelling campaign aiming at local community behavioural change and lifestyles Step by step guide 4) examples from around Europe: storytelling campaigns implemented within the project 5) How can you be your own Superhero of climate change – tips for young people 6) recommendations to institutions and organisations at local and European level
Participants of the Activity 3 will be the participants who took part in Activities 1 and 2. This will allow us to reflect properly on the process and understand the learning points and points to improve. There will be 3 representatives of each Superheroes local group in the Activity 3 – youth workers/activists and young people with less experience (this way we will build their capacities to interact with different stakeholders and develop a “we can do it” attitude.
Brussels, Belgium – November 2022
YEU is looking for:
Senior trainers/facilitators (2 per Activity)
Junior trainers/facilitators (1 per Activity)
Senior trainer: 150 EUR per day gross
Junior trainer: 60 EUR per day gross
Trainers/facilitators involved are expected to contribute to the contents of the dedicated Website of the project.
If you are interested, please apply here no later than December 31st 23:59 CET.